It’s that time of year! Time to get ready for the upcoming hurricane season. This year the Florida Disaster Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday runs from May 28, 2022, to June 10, 2022. This is the perfect time to stock up on essentials to help you throughout the season.
** Just a reminder – The sales tax holiday does not apply to sales in a theme park, entertainment complex, public lodging establishment, or airport **
First off, you need to determine what supplies you have and what items you need in case of a hurricane or tropical storm. The list below is the Basic Disaster Supplies Kit from the federal government.
- Water (one gallon per person per day for several days, for drinking and sanitation)
- Food (at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food)
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio and an NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries
- Whistle (to signal for help)
- Dust mask (to help filter contaminated air)
- Plastic sheeting and duct tape (to shelter in place)
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags, and plastic ties (for personal sanitation)
- Wrench or pliers (to turn off utilities)
- Manual can opener (for food)
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery
Now that you have an inventory of what you need to purchase or replenish you have until June 10th to buy the items sales tax-free. The list is arranged by price point beginning with cans or pouches of wet pet food at $2. Items such as batteries, and portable self-powered radios under $50 are sales tax-free. Items included in the under $70 category are smoke detectors, smoke alarms, fire extinguishers and carbon monoxide detectors. For the complete list click HERE
NOAA & Alert Polk – it is essential to be aware of what is going on during the storm. Register for Alert Polk & NOAA Weather Radio Frequencies for Polk: 162.500 and 162.550 MHz
Polk County offers assistance to those with special needs, the elderly, and those who require transportation to a shelter. To register for a special needs shelter and/or transportation:
- Call the Polk County Emergency Management Special Needs Program at (863) 298-7027
- Complete the Special Needs Registration Form, or the Spanish Polk County Special Needs Registration Form, and fax: (863) 298-7172 or mail to: Polk County Emergency Management Special Need Shelter Registration, 1890 Jim Keene Blvd. Winter Haven, FL 33880
There are 3 pet-friendly shelters in Polk County. Pre-registration is highly advised. Only cats, dogs, and birds are allowed as pets in the shelters.
Save the image below on your camera roll to keep on hand during a storm.